I was scrolling through the description when the dude on the right blinked AND SCARED THE ABSOLUTE LIFE OUT OF ME!!! Was not expecting that, can't believe I was jumpscared by a blink 😭😂
A downloadable work in progress
Death opens doors.
Perhaps some should remain closed.
Resurrection Gate is an in-progress interactive fiction narrative about loss, liches, and what lingers at the edge of existence. It is being developed in Twine ®.
Resurrection Gate explores:
- 👁️ What might happen when an old friend comes back from the dead
- 👁️ How to get excommunicated from a monastery in 24 years or less
- 👁️ Ways to keep your co-workers from suspecting you of being undead
… and other such tribulations.
Gameplay is choice-based, revolving around dialogue and actions that govern specific variables. Resurrection Gate has multiple protagonists: point-of-view will initially switch between Yasha, a shellshocked hussar burdened by his past, and Sully, an outcast monk exploring their first taste of independence.
After reaching a conclusion in their intertwined route, an NPC will become playable: the Duke of Wratun, a man determined to thrive in spite of his recent murder.
Every character has been shaped by their past, whether they are in the prime of their life or have lived undead for years. What the future holds for them remains to be seen — but in the present, their fates are all connected, and a malevolent spirit haunts each of them...
- 👁️ View the world through different eyes: multiple playable characters whose points of view cycle from scene to scene, providing unique context and perspective throughout each chapter.
- 👁️ Each playable character has specific Traits, some of which are "Immutable," and others which can be emphasized by the player for the duration of the playthrough, allowing exploration of different strengths and weaknesses which may affect future interactions.
- 👁️ Choose which paths to follow: characters' actions can impact their progression through the narrative, as well as their personal wellbeing.
I’ve been exploring this setting over three previous games. Each one was only a brief and experimental technical demo, but over time, the themes, characters, and mechanics of those games have shaped Resurrection Gate. There’s no requirement to play those games in order to understand this story, but you may recognize earlier concepts of certain characters if you do.
Collection: "And some part of me is mortal yet..."
- 👁️ Robust state-tracking: a character's status, governed by both player choice and narrative events, will affect the choices, dialogue, and actions available to them. For instance, an injured character cannot perform certain actions, and a character lacking peace of mind may be unwilling to engage in others.
- 👁️ Interactive dialogue: haggle with merchants; name horses; argue with your companions; appeal to the clemency of a hard-hearted ruler! Conversations build relationships — positive or negative — with NPCs, who may help or hinder the player later.
- 👁️ A second storyline featuring a new playable character becomes available after reaching an initial ending.
- 👁️ An original soundtrack composed by Ruune!
- 👁️ Featuring illustrations by Jay Schriber!
- 👁️ Lush UI created using CSS and HTML!
- 👁️ Unique text mechanics allow for a smoother reading pace!
- 👁️ Created entirely in Twine®!
Resurrection Gate is currently in development and will remain in development for a while yet; I'm currently anticipating release in Summer 2022. Devlogs will be posted here on itch from time to time and will go into greater depth about characters, mechanics, and development news. To keep up with the development of Resurrection Gate, you can follow on itch to receive alerts when a new devlog is posted!
You can also follow me on Twitter for additional updates, and consider subscribing to my devlog tier ($3) on Patreon for even more behind-the-scenes features each month. Patreon pledges also help fund the game's additional assets.
Want to support the game’s development?
A one-time donation on ko-fi or a monthly pledge of at least $2 on Patreon helps tremendously. Though I only infrequently drink coffee, these donations still enable me to synthesize nutrients into pure havoc, furthering the production of this game!
At the Grimoire Ghoul tier and above on Patreon ($3), patrons also have access to more informal devlogs which discuss progress made every month, featuring behind-the-scenes details, in-progress UI, info about music and art production, insight into the writing process, and more information about other projects I'm working on simultaneously. All patrons also receive the benefit of early-access Twine tutorials. At the Grimoire Gallant tier ($8), several pieces of exclusive short fiction are also available to read.
Otherwise, word of mouth is extremely helpful, too. If you know someone who likes weird and narrative-heavy games, gothic fiction, or unconventional visual novels, feel free to point them this way.
"Nothing in his life
became him like the leaving it..."
- Developer: G.C. Baccaris
- Based In: New York, United States
- Contact: gcbaccaris(@)gmail(dot)com
- Social: @gcbaccaris
- Release Date: TBA, 2022
- Platforms: Web-based; PC; Mac
- Language: English